Hotels, history and sights of Győr, Western Hungary
"City of rivers" - so-called because it sits at the confluence of the Danube, Rába and Rábca rivers. Called ARRABONA in Roman times, it was an important center of Pannonia. Györ has grown to become a favourite tourist destination because of its near 1000-year-old episcopal see, atmospheric inner city and beautiful Baroque buildings. KÁPTALAN HILL in the old inner city was at the mouth of the three rivers. Here the majority of the most famous buildings are to be found.
The BISHOP'S CASTLE - that is the Episcopal Palace is recognizable from afar because of its broken tower. The oldest structures are the 13th century KEEP and the 15th century Gothic DOCZY CHAPEL.
The EPISCOPAL CATHEDRAL opposite the Episcopal Palace was built on an 11th century Romanesque church.
Search for hotels in Hungary
This page lists the hotels in alphabetical order.
You can change this order by selecting other options using the form below:
This 4-Star-Hotel in Györ is situated by the city center and the thermal bath and theme park. The hotel, together with the Hotel Kalvaria ***, forms a perfect accommodation complex for anybody who wants to spend an unforgettable stay in Györ!
The hotel is situated in the center of Gyor, within easy reach from motorway M1-E60 halfway between Budapest and Vienna. Gyor, a city of four rivers the Danube, Raba, Marcal and Rabca is a county seat and center of the "Little Plain"
With 96 airconditioned rooms, the Ibis Gyor is located 800 metres from the pedestrian area in the city centre.
History and main sights of Győr
The ST. LÁSZLO CHAPEL (HÉDERVÁRY CHAPEL) built 400 years later in Gothic style houses the gilded silver RELIQUARY BUST OF ST. LÁSZLO (LADISLAS) which represents one of the finest achievements in medieval goldsmiths' work. The two unusual "black altars" are features of the cathedral, and the frescoes are by A.F. Maulbertsch: masterpieces showing Mary and the child Jesus in Rococo frames.
Close to the cathedral are two Baroque sculptures from 1731: the ST. MICHAEL STATUE depicting the archangel, and the ARK OF THE COVENANT MEMORIAL, a gift of Emperor Charles III dating from 1731.
The GYÖR ROMAN CATHOLIC DIOCESAN TREASURY AND LIBRARY is located in the Priests' Seminary (Káptalan domb 26.): ivory triptych, 16th century chalice, 18th century monstrance, and the valuable liturgical treasures in the Zichy Collection.
The CHURCH (12-13th century) is an ecclesiastical and artistic historical building. The charming figures in the attic of the characteristically neoclassical KRESZTA HOUSE (Apáca u. 1.) are part of the MARGIT KOVÁCS PERMANENT EXHIBITION celebrating this highly popular ceramist artist born in Györ.
The town's symbol is a WEATHER COCK standing on a crescent moon, signifying the capture by Turks of the castle in 1594; you'll find it decorating the fountain in Dunakapu Square. The medieval main square of SZÉCHENYI SQUARE has many historic buildings around it. City magistrates lived in VASTUSKOS (IRON BEAM) HOUSE, which takes its name from the beam studded with nails from journeymen who stayed there when it was a spice store in the last century.
The IMRE PATKO COLLECTION (Széchenyi tér 4.) gathers 20th century fine arts and native works from Africa and Oceania. The ABBOT'S HOUSE is a grand Baroque palace, one-time residence of the abbot, and which today gives home to the rich collection of the JÁNOS XANTUS MUSEUM (Széchenyi tér 5.): local history, medical history, applied arts, stamps.
Three important buildings of the Benedictine Order are also set in the square: the CHURCH OF ST. IGNATIUS with its interior designed on the II Gesu Church in Rome, and with a valuable and fine pulpit.
The PHARMACY MUSEUM and SZÉCHENYI PHARMACY on the ground floor of the PRIORY (Széchenyi tér 9.) still retain their original early Baroque interiors and beautiful frescos. Hungarian culture has benefited from the many students coming from the GRAMMAR SCHOOL.
Worth particular attention is the red marble-rimmed gate of the CURIA NOBILITARIS (comer of Liszt Ferenc Street), the wrought iron work on the OLD TOWN HALL (Rákoczi u. 1.), the Tuscan columned courtyard of the HUNGARIAN HOSPICE (Rákoczi u. 6.), and the richly decorated enclosed balcony of the ROZÁLIA HOUSE (Kazinczy u. 21.).
The CITY MUSEUM (Rákoczi u. 6.) has a fine arts collection: Greek and Roman decorative ware, Renaissance and Baroque furniture, statues, paintings, Chinese porcelain, contemporary graphics, sculptures by Miklos Borsos, and ceramics by Margit Kovács.
The 18th century "Mary of the Foam" statue in the CARMELITE CHURCH (Bécsi kapu tér) is certainly one of the most beautiful Hungarian sculptures.